ABUJA — Former Nigerian leader Goodluck Jonathan has rejected a nomination to contest for president in 2023, according to his media office.
The presidential nomination and expression of interest forms were purchased Monday on the platform of the governing All Progressives Congress (APC) party which defeated him in the presidential election of 2015 after five years in office.
The form was purchased and donated to Jonathan by a supporters’ group in the country, creating a puzzle about when and how the former Nigerian leader jumped ship from the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the ruling APC.
His media office said in a statement late Monday that the former president rejected the nomination offer “because he did not authorize it.”
The majority of politicians seeking to replace President Muhammadu Buhari following next year’s presidential election had been purchasing their parties’ nomination forms through proxies.
“We want to state that if the former president wanted to contest an election, he would make his intentions clear to the public and will not enter through the back door,” the Jonathan media office said.
The statement said the former president had not in any way committed himself to the requests by a cross-section of Nigerians to make himself available for the February 2023 presidential election.
Nigeria’s two major political parties, the APC and PDP, are expected to conclude their nomination exercise later this month, ahead of the Independent National Electoral Commission’s early June deadline for all parties to present their candidates for the presidential election. – Xinhua